Sunday 10 November 2013

Port Folio Objective 3.3

Objective 3.3
States the strengths & possible limits of your own ability to observe & offer literacy & numeracy experiences with children less than 4 years of age.
Experience
My every day activities and my life experiences have given me many qualities that not only would be beneficial to pass onto young children but excite me to do so and share my knowledge. I am a very passionate person in whatever field I am completing but my biggest love in life is the natural environment. Due to this excitement for any outdoor activity, I do find it difficult to remain inside and see the discipline needed to perform certain subjects for an extended time. My knowledge is based around facts which I enjoy as I feel an accomplishment when I reach the correct answer. I find it frustrating to base learning around reading literacy that does not have a specific outcome and children spending more time doing brainless activities.
I completed my first university degree in science with a major or biodiversity and conservation, which I believe to be highly important for young children to learn as they are responsible for reshaping the future. This degree has many different elements revolving around science and wonder of the natural world around us. As I am incredibly passionate about this subject, I am confident that I will be able to share my knowledge along with my enthusiasm for learning the ‘how’s’ and ‘whys’ of the world. Biology is a strength of mine as I still find it incredibly amazing to learn how things grow, about the small particles that are responsible for life and look forward to learning and researching more with young children. Animals or plants, it doesn’t matter what the subject as long as it is changing, growing or alive. The possibilities for learning are endless as the subjects have so much detail, and due to this amazing ability it is important to protect and conserve such wonders. The biggest strength I contain is the knowledge of importance when it comes to protecting what we have in the world today. Using natural resources, encouraging farming and using our own produce will be a high priority on the learning list as once something is gone or spoilt, it will never come back.

I do have limits to my teaching tolerances however as I believe outdoor education should be a priority, where all activities are performed surrounded by nature and in the fresh air. Inside activities such as set ‘group’ time is not of a high importance to me as I don’t believe it promotes or teaches specific lessons that could otherwise be included elsewhere. Firm beliefs have been engrained in me that old fashioned role play and toys where creative minds are required have a high educational value. Unfortunately I cannot say with as much confidence the same about some toys with set play subjects and no variety that leads the directional play instead of offer a blank canvas for choice. Having choice and endless opportunities are fantastic as one object can be the main attraction for many students and offer many learning focal points for the classroom. One of the strongest intolerances I have is books, while I agree and encourage reading and the need to learn literacy; I feel too many story books offer a lowered educational value. Fiction books do have a place in the centre for relaxing and a sense of make believe however the benefits I believe are in no comparison to nonfiction books where factual learning can be done. In my centre I will have many more nonfiction books available and encourage the love of research and learning to the students. I will not encourage the use of electronics, whether it be television or children’s tablets as I don’t see the value in brainless activities that has no learning value rather to use as a ‘babysitter’ when there are so many other options available to teach children all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment